Saturday, February 28, 2015

Toppling Goliath PseudoSue Review



Name: Toppling Goliath PseudoSue
Style: American Pale Ale
ABV: 5.8%
IBUs: 50

Well it's finally time to review a beer that has been a long time coming. That's right, after about a month of waiting, it's finally time to review PseudoSue from Toppling Goliath Brewing. Considered by many to be the best American Pale Ale currently available on the market, this beer takes its name from the largest T-Rex ever discovered.

I did a little research about this beer before trying it out and I was shocked to discover it only uses one type of hop variety; They don't say which. Well there must be a reason why everyone considers this the absolute best of the best in terms of APA style beers....right?

Appearance - A very hazy, almost murky yellow/orange color with no visible carbonation to speak of. The head takes on a foamy yet soapy appearance but the lacing is quite abundant

Aroma - Very rich grapefruit and mango notes, mixed in with some vibrant citrus hop sweetness; All of which just has a hint of hop bitterness. I wonder if the hops used in this are Mosaic?

Taste - Mango and grapefruit sweetness with some juicy citrus hop notes and ending with a resiny bitterness. The toffee malt backbone is pretty substantial here and it lasts throughout the entire flavor. I'm going to guess that it's Mosaic Hops in the brewing process but that's only my educated guess.

What it lacks in complexity, it more than makes up for it in the sheer vibrancy & robustness of the flavor. A couple of months ago, I had a Mosaic Fresh Hop IPA from Castle Danger Brewing and I fell in love with it; This beer reminds me of it an awful lot and that's a good thing.

Do I think it's the best APA on the market? No, I still think that distinction belongs to Three Floyds' Zombie Dust but it does come pretty close. With that said, it's very easy to see why people come back to this beer time and time again and I know I will be amongst those people!


Toppling Goliath PseudoSue - 9.5/10

3 comments:

  1. It states Citra on the bottle. I think Zombie Dust has Citra in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, both Zombie Dust and Pseduosue use Citra hops. Haven't been able to get my hands on Zombie Dust since I live in MN and sadly, there's no distribution. Absolutely LOVE Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, both Zombie Dust and Pseduosue use Citra hops. Haven't been able to get my hands on Zombie Dust since I live in MN and sadly, there's no distribution. Absolutely LOVE Sue!

    ReplyDelete