Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Indeed Midnight Ryder Review



Name: Indeed Midnight Ryder
Style: Black IPA
ABV: 6.5%

How have I not reviewed anything from Indeed Brewing yet? They've been around for a couple years not yet I haven't had the decency to take a closer look at any of their offerings. Ironic considering that I've been to their taproom on more than a few occasions. In any case, I have their Midnight Ryder Black Ale.

Now you can't tell from the photo I took above but the label is awesome to say the least. In fact, here is the full label below...


Come on, I beg one of you to tell me that isn't the happiest looking Kodiak Bear you've ever seen!

Appearance - Pours a Pitch black color with a small amount of visible carbonation. The head is quite foamy in appearance and takes on a dark tan color. The lacing is also quite plentiful.

Smell - I'm getting some very sharp piney hop bitterness paired with a strong roasted barley aroma. I'm also picking up on some chocolate malts and a hint of yeastiness. For a black ale, it smells quite hoppy. Then again, it is 80 IBUs.

Taste - The roasted barley and chocolate maltiness take center stage in the flavor. However the sharp piney hoppiness makes itself known by lingering on in the middle and back of the palate. Speaking of which, the aftertaste consists of strong hop bitterness, light caramel sweetness and roasted barley.

In my opinion, it's got the best of both worlds. On one hand, you have a good roasted barley & chocolate maltiness. On the other, you have a nice bitter & piney hoppiness that counteracts the sheer dark characteristics of the beer itself. In other words, I found this to be nicely balanced for what it is and is worthy of your attention.

Indeed Midnight Ryder - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment