Monday, February 9, 2015

Blue Moon Gingerbread Spiced Ale Review



Name: Blue Moon Gingerbread Spiced Ale
Style: Spiced Beer
ABV: 5.9%

Another beer from the Blue Moon Winter Sampler Pack, which I got on sale last week. For this review, I have their Gingerbread Spiced Ale which brings back memories of Christmas....except during Christmas, I was drinking Reindeer Games from Clown Shoes; A fantastic beer if you haven't had it yet.

As I recall, the last Gingerbread based beer I had was from Sam Adams and I frankly wasn't too impressed with that beer. So let's see if this beer will change my mind about gingerbread-based beers.

The beer pours a clear dark brown color with some light carbonation. The head itself is quite thin & translucent and the lacing is pretty much non-existent.

So far, it's living up to the name as a gingerbread beer because it hits you right away in the aroma. I'm also getting some mild roastiness & a hint of chocolate malts. There's also some very mild hoppiness but it's covered up by the strong gingerbread scent.

As for the flavor, at the very front of the palate is where the gingerbread is quite strong but it fades away on the backend of the palate; Which consists mostly of roasted barley, some mild chocolate notes and some moderately bitter hoppiness.

Had the gingerbread flavor lingered throughout, I would've enjoyed this more. Perhaps it's better enjoyed sooner than later. However as it is, it's still a decent beer and there's nothing I would really consider terribly wrong with it.

Blue Moon Gingerbread Spiced Ale - 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment